Five things you need to know, before the Udaipur HOG meet in March
Every month, the Southern Harley Owners Group head out along the ECR to give their machines a workout. Last Sunday, during a pit stop at Burger Shack in Mahabalipuram, the director of the group of 30 bikers, Shiva Swamynath, shared five things Harley aficionados in Chennai need to know:
1. Ride the twist: We are cruisers and we go on a ride every fourth Sunday. Anyone can join us. As riders, we like the stretch between Pondicherry and Mahabalipuram called Mudaliarkuppam boat house. The stretch has a lot of curves and twists that make the ride interesting. We do not ride very fast, maintaining a speed limit of 60 to 80 kms per hour.
2. Souped up: We generally modify our bikes with different dealers of the Harley Davidson. They generally add a new exhaust, change the handle bar etc. We have X-Torque in Bangalore that modifies bikes and there are a few in Pune as well.
3. Get geared: While going on a ride, one must carry a first aid box, a lever, a battery charger, and the minimum spares.
4. Dress code: The Harley company keeps updating their accessories but the latest boots, helmets and jackets are remarkable. My favourite are the gloves that can be used all season. You can use your touch screen phone using these gloves and they are pretty good for the winter. I used them recently when I went on a ride to Rohtang Pass.
5. Mark your calendar: The next ride will be on March 8 at Udaipur. This will be part of the Western HOG.
— Mrinalini Sundar