This year’s top watched music videos feature six songs from Bollywood. But the chart sees tongue wagging Miley Cyrus, drawing attention from India’s online folk while musicians like Yo-Yo Honey Singh also feature on it. We take you through the top ten.
1. Whether it is for Atif Aslam’s romantic vocals or the beautiful Shruti Hassan we are not quite sure, but Jeene Laga Hoon from the film Ramaiya Vastavaiya was the top trending music video for 2013.
2. Thirty-seven days after its premiere, Miley Cyrus’s video of We Can’t Stop broke the record for fastest clip to reach 100 million views on VEVO platforms. The record was then broken by Wrecking Ball. But in India, the former video sealed the runner’s up award.
3. Finishing third in this race, Aashiqui 2’s Sun Raha Hai Na Tu is a hot favourite. The film, starring Aditya Roy Kapur and Shraddha Kapoor, may not have done well but the song topped video and music charts across the country.
4. Tum Hi Ho of the same film, grabs fourth spot to ensure this love story had songs and videos to melt even the hardest of hearts.
5. Moving away from the soppy heartbreak songs, Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani’s Balam Pichkari finds itself halfway down the list. A colourful video that is bubbly and young, it makes you want to just get up and dance. A must-have on your party playlist.
6. Lady Gaga is the only other female international artist on India’s most-watched music videos. A barrage of artistic images in black-and-white and vivid colours, flashing lights and bizarre choreography, the video for her song Applause is in true Gaga-style and proves she is a spectacular show woman.
7. Seventh place goes to Badtameez Dil, again from the Ranbir Kapoor-Deepika Padukone starrer Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani. Perfect to get a party started with contemporary and retro beats.
8. Mr Worldwide, Pitbull sneaks onto this chart courtesy Priyanka Chopra whose song, Exotica featuring the rapper, created a buzz this year. Sporting skimpy bikinis and very racy outfits, Chopra’s singing might not have been the sole reason the video got over 20 million hits.
9. Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela’s Nagada Song portrays an intense Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh but is colourful thanks to Sanjay Leela Bhansali. The Navratri song blends classical, folk and contemporary music while Padukone’s moves make it quite a festival favourite.
10. A lady may have slapped Yo Yo Honey Singh for his song Blue Eyes, but its video completes the top 10. In various avatars including a waist-coat and yuppie attire as he unabashedly chases a girl with ‘blue eyes and glossy lips’. Justin Timberlake from the 2000s, anyone?